Monday, June 7, 2010

Quotes on Preaching the Gospel to Ourselves

Here are some quotes that I mentioned on Sunday. These have been encouraging and challenging to me and I hope they will be to you as well.

C.J. Mahaney- “if there’s anything in life that we should be passionate about, it’s the gospel. And I don’t mean passionate only about sharing it with others. I mean passionate about thinking about it, dwelling on it, rejoicing in it, allowing it to color the way we look at the world. Only one thing can be of first important to each of us. And only the gospel ought to be.”

Milton Vincent, “God did not give us the gospel just so we could embrace it and be converted. Actually, He offers it to us every day as a gift that keeps on giving to us everything we need for life and godliness. The wise believer learns this truth early and becomes proficient in extracting valuable benefits from the gospel each day. We extract those benefits by being absorbed in the gospel, speaking it to ourselves when necessary, and by daring to reckon it true in all we do.”


Milton Vincent: “My God is immense beyond imagination. He measured the entire universe with merely the span of His hand. He is unimaginably awesome in all His perfections, absolutely righteous, holy and just in all His ways. He has also been unbelievably good and merciful to me as the Creator and Sustainer of my life. Every breath, every heartbeat, every function of every organ in my body is a gift from Him. Every legitimate pleasure I experience is a gift from His loving hand to me. All that I am and all that I have I owe to Him and to His goodness. My life in every way is, and will continue to be, utterly dependent upon Him in whom I live and move and have my being. This wonderful God is the most supremely worthy Object of admiration, honor and delight in all of the universe; and He has created me with the intention that I might glorify Him by finding my soul’s delight in Him and by living in joyful obedience to Him in all of my ways.”